SAMPLING FOR MOLD IN CARPET DUST
Collect dust by vacuuming 2 square meters in the living room and 2 in a bedroom, adjacent to the sofa or bed, for 5 minutes each. Use a sampler like the Mitest or the DustChek. Report results using the EPA Relative Moldiness Index (ERMI).
CARPET DUST SAMPLING STEPS
- Remove the top and bottom caps. Check for the collection filter.
- Insert the vacuum hose into the wide end of the cassette.
- Start the vacuum and a stopwatch, and begin sampling in one corner of the sampling area with the narrow, oval-shaped end of the sampler.
- Tilt the sampler to one side to allow a slight gap above the surface.
- Sweep the area slowly from one end to the other using overlapping passes, until the entire area is covered in 5 minutes.
- Tilt the cassette nozzle upward, then turn off the vacuum.
- Remove the sampler from the hose and visually inspect it to verify it contains enough sample (at least a teaspoon, half full, 30 – 100 mg).
- Replace the caps onto the cassette ends and place it into a zip bag.
- Label the sample number and location.
Adapted from EMLab P&K, originally: Vesper S, McKinstry C, Haugland R, Wymer L, Bradham K, Ashley P, Cox D, Dealt G, Friedman W. Development of an Environmental Relative Moldiness Index for US Homes. J Occup Environ Med. 2007 Aug;49(8):829-833.